Friday, June 5, 2015

Caroline's Quiet Book

Today's quiet book is so cute and I'm so excited to share it with you! It was made by Caroline from the blog To the Piechecker! for her son Luke, and it is just adorable. All the way from the front page with her son's name sewn on it, to the awesome garden page, to the build-your-own sandwich page, to the cute fabric (bugs in jars) she chose for the quiet book cover, this book is full of cute details and fun activities that any kid would love.


 Shapes page with snap-off shapes and shapes sewn in matching colors on the page:


 An abacus/counting page:


I like that the circles are made of all felt - I've wanted to make a counting page like this before, but they're usually made with beads and I don't have any beads lying around my house. Felt circles are a great idea!

A space page (love the Tardis): 


Adorable garden page:


 I really like how Caroline added the tomato plant growing up from the hill; it's so cute and such a great use of space!

A bees and flowers threading page where you string the bee through the loops on the flowers, all the way to the beehive:


A dinosaur page:


A fish page with tails you can switch around:


A rainbow page with matching color names that can snap on the rainbow:


A "collect the fireflies" page with an awesome vinyl jar:


 (I absolutely love this lightning bug page - I've never seen a quiet book page like it before!)

And to top it all off, a build-your-own sandwich page (with "ingredients" for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or a meat and veggies sandwich):


Interview

What's your name? Describe yourself in one sentence.
My name is Caroline, I'm an art school grad and currently a stay at home mother.

Who did you make this quiet book for? How old are they?
I made this book for my son Luke, he is two years old.

What's your level of sewing experience?
I would say I have a novice level of sewing experience, I am much better at sewing by hand than on a machine.
How long did it take you?
I worked on this book for about 3 months, a few hours here and there after my son went to bed. It was impossible to work on with him running around, he kept stealing all the felt!

Did you use any templates? Where can they be found?
I looked at a lot of other quiet books for inspiration. Many of my pages were inspired by the Imagine Our Life blog. I also traced objects like shapes from my sons shape sorter, and letters.

How did you bind your quiet book?
I put grommets in all my pages and used binder rings to bind the book. I also sewed a cover that snaps closed.

What material are the pages made out of?
The cover is flannel and cotton, the pages are almost exclusively felt, except for a small amount of clear vinyl.

What other materials did you use?
I also used snaps, thread, ribbon, and d-rings.

How much did all the supplies cost you?
I probably spent over $50 for this project. It's hard to tell because I bought a bunch of felt by the yard, and only used a small amount of each color. 

What's your favorite page? Why?
I think my favorite page is the gardening one. It came out exactly as I imagined it and I love all the details. Plus we love gardening!


To see Caroline's quiet book on her own blog, with more details about each page, click here: To the Piechecker!

Caroline, thank you so much for sharing your quiet book with us.



Have you made a quiet book that you'd like to share? Click here for instructions on how to submit your own quiet book!

No comments:

Post a Comment